Article I – Name
Section 1 The name of the organization shall be “The Louisiana High School Basketball Coaches Association.”
Section 2 Official Logo
Article II – Objectives
Section 1 To promote the game of basketball at all levels within the state of Louisiana.
Section 2 To promote a harmonious relationship between coaches throughout the state.
Section 3 To help maintain the highest of standard in the coaching profession.
Section 4 To have a representative group of coaches in which problems of general interest may be discussed and to which they may be referred to for interchanging ideas, resulting in better relationships between schools and coaches.
Section 5 To promote good fellowship and social contact among coaches.
Article III – Membership
Section 1 The membership of the association shall consist of any current or former basketball coach (head, assistant, junior varsity, junior high, or elementary) whose school participates in the LHSAA, College coaches from a Louisiana College, or organizations for basketball who help promote Louisiana High School Basketball.
Article IV – Dues
Section 1 The Executive Board shall vote upon the annual membership fee for all members. The LHSBCA collection period will begin May 1 and end May 1of the next year. In order for an athlete to be eligible for the 3 pt. contest or All State Honors a coach must be a member by December 31, or the athlete cannot participate or be nominated. Membership registration can be done online at lhsbca.org, by mail, or in person at the July clinic.
Article V – Executive Officers
Section 1 There shall be Executive Officers consisting of the offices of President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Technology Coordinator. The before stated offices shall be voted on by the members of the LHSBCA at the Top 28 LHSBCA Business Meeting.
Section 2 The term of the Executive Officers shall be for two years
Section 3 The President and 1st Vice-President shall appoint Committees and members of committees as they are needed.
Section 4 The immediate past President shall be an ex-officio of this board.
Section 5 The secession of officers shall be: President becomes ex-officio, 1st Vice-President becomes President, 2nd Vice President becomes 1st Vice-President. 2nd Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary, shall be voted on every two years at the Top 28 LHSBCA Business meeting. Technology Coordinator is a permanent member of the Executive Officers. (adopted July 2014)
Article VI – Duties of Officers
Section 1 It shall be the duty of the President and Vice-President to appoint all committees as there may be demand for and perform the other Executive duties pertaining to respective office.
Section 2 It shall be the duty of the President and Vice-President to carry out the promotion and professionalism of the organization as a liaison between the LHSBCA, the LHSCA, and the LHSAA.
Section 3 It shall be the duty of the 1st Vice-President to perform the duties of The President in his/her absence. The 1st Vice-President will have The responsibility of the LHSBCA membership mail-out. This mail-out shall include but not limited to membership gift, membership card. It shall furthermore be the responsibility of the 1st Vice-President to contact the host committee to set up coaching clinics for the boy’s and girl’s state basketball tournament
Section 4 It shall be the duty of the 2nd Vice-President to plan, organize, and oversee the state three-point competition that shall be conducted at regional sites throughout the state with the finals being held at time of the boys and girls All- Star Game.
Section 5 It shall be the duty of the Secretary to maintain and print minutes of all meetings and to keep a continued update list of members. The Secretary shall be in charge of obtaining, organizing, and e-mailing the LHSBCA newsletter through the Technology Coordinator. The newsletters will be mailed on dates deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
Section 6 It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to: 1. Collect and record all money. 2. Keep an accurate account on the Association’s finances and report it to the Executive Board at all meetings. The treasurer shall also present the financial report at the annual and semi-annual meetings throughout the year.
Section 7 It shall be the duty of the Technology Coordinator to: Keep an updated email list, maintain the website through our web administrator, email, post on website minutes of Board of Directors meeting, email the newsletter to members, and maintain and coordinate any and all other Technology areas of the association.
Section 8 The immediate Past-President shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Executive Board. He or she shall have no voting privileges on the Executive Board.
Article VII – Removal of an Officer/Vacated Office
Section 1 By a majority vote of the Executive Board an officer may be removed from their office due to dereliction of duty.
Section 2 By a majority vote of the Executive Board a vacated office shall be filled.
Article VIII – Amendments
Section 1 The constitution may be amended at either of the Semi-annual meetings in March or the annual meeting in July. A majority vote of members present is needed to pass an amendment. Amendments must be presented in written form and describe in detail the purpose and intent of the amendment before a vote will occur.
Article IX – Privilege of Membership
Section 1 For an annual membership fee a coach is entitled to the following service and benefits:
- Membership Gift
- Periodic newsletters
- Voting privileges at all meetings
- Members camp information posted on website for no charge, Non members must pay a $50 fee (adopted July 2012)
- Nominating and voting privilege for LHSBCA All-State Team
- Player privileges in competing in the LHSBCA Three-Point competition
- Allows the son/daughter of a LHSBCA member the opportunity to apply and receive a LHSBCA scholarship.
Amendment I – Clinic
Section 1 Will be held during the Top 28. The clinic will feature high school or college coaches selected by the Executive Officers with choices of the members being taken into consideration.
Amendment II – Officers Meetings
Section 1 There should be a meeting at the Top 28, June- Social for LHSAA, , and July at the LHSCA Coaching Clinic.(adopted July 2014) The President will have in his/her authority the right to call a meeting of the Executive Board as needed to plan for upcoming meetings, events, or clinics.
Amendment III – Committees
Section 1 All committee chairman shall be appointed by the President
Section 2 There shall be the following committees
- Web Page
- All-State Selection
- Hall of Fame
- All Star Game
Section 3 Web Page – Online web site with up to date basketball information, Constitution and Bylaws, applications, membership list, basketball seeding system, and information to promote basketball throughout the state.
- All-State Selection -To follow the selection process outlined in the Bylaws.
- Hall of Fame -To recognize outstanding achievement and /or contributions of an individual to the LHSBCA.
- All Star Game -Plan and prepare in conjunction with coordinators, and officers of the LHSBCA.
- Scholarship -Verify that all applications contain the correct information and follow the guidelines according to Amendment IV.
Amendment IV – Scholarship
Section 1 Each year the LHSBCA will offer two $300 scholarships for post secondary education to the child of a LHSBCA member.
Section 2 A committee consisting of a chairman and two or more committee members shall verify each application for the following criteria:
- Student must have a 2.5 GPA.
- Completed application form.
- Copy of official high school transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation (From Principal, coach, teacher, athletic director, guidance counselor).
- Student must be son/daughter of LHSBCA member.
- Parent must be member of LHSBCA for three consecutive years (including current year of application) before child is eligible for scholarship.
- These scholarships are available to graduating seniors.
Section 3 The deadline for submitting the application will be set by the scholarship committee and posted on the web site and in the news letter.
Section 4 The two scholarship recipients will receive their awards at the LHSBCA All-Star Dinner/Game.
Amendment V – Hall of Fame
This award is to recognize outstanding achievement and /or contributions of an individual to the LHSBCA.
Section 1 The chairman shall be appointed by the President. The chairman can select up to four (4) committee members to assist him/her.
Section 2 The categories for the nominees are as follows:
Section 3 Nominations shall be submitted in writing to the chairman of the Hall of Fame Committee. Nominations must be submitted by February 15.
Section 4 Committee members shall select inductees from past nominations received within three (3) years or from the current year. The President will keep on-going file of nominations.
Section 5 The award will be presented at the LHSBCA All-star game.
Amendment VI – LHSBCA All-State Nominations and Voting
Section 1 Member coaches may nominate two (2) players from his/her team.
Section 2 Only members of the LHSBCA who join by December 31st are eligible to nominate and vote for the LHSBCA All-State team.
Section 3 There will be 10 players selected and one MVP for both boys and girls.
Section 4 Nominations for boys/girls must be sent in no later than Friday of the first week of playoffs for boys (week #34). Nominations will be sent to the All-State chairman via mail, fax, or e-mail. Nominations will not be accepted after the Friday deadline. (Date will be posted on web site and newsletter.)
Section 5 All-State ballots will be emailed to member coaches who joined the association by December 31st deadline. All-State ballots must be returned no later than Friday of the Top 28 Coaching Clinic. (Dates will be posted on web site and newsletter.)
Section 6 All-State ballots must be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the All-State chairman by the deadline date or hand delivered to the Top 28 coaching clinic. No ballot will be counted if received after the deadline date. Ballots must have school name, coaches name, and coaches signature in order to be considered valid.
Amendment VI – Board of Directors
Section 1 There will be a Board of Directors Consisting of Executive Director, (9) Board Members, 1 Technology Coordinator, and 4 Current Basketball Coordinators.
Section 2 The Executive Director will be selected by the Board of Directors chosen at the July 2010 LHSBCA business meeting. And shall be a principal of an LHSAA member school.
Section 3 The term of the Board Members will be 5 years. Any vacated office shall be filled by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Section 4 The term of Executive Director negotiated by the Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
Section 5 The term of the Technology Coordinator will be permanent.
Section 6 The term of the Basketball Coordinators will be the length of time they are elected to serve, and will rotate as new coordinators are selected.
Section 7 Duties of the Board of Directors
- To carry out promotion and professionalism of the organization as a liaison between the LHSBCA, LHSCA, and the LHSAA.
- Provide continuity for the organization and to represent the organization’s point of view through interpretation of its purpose, and advocacy for them.
- Select and appoint an executive director to whom responsibility for the administration of the organization is delegated, including:
- To review and evaluate his/her performance regularly on the basis of a specific job description, including executive relations with the board, leadership in the organization, in program planning and implementation, and in management of the organization and its personnel
- To offer administrative guidance and determine whether to retain or dismiss the Executive Director.
- To work with and support the Executive Director by handling committee work, special functions, and any and all matters that will help the association grow.
- To work with, and provide support to the Executive Officers of the association.
- Govern the organization by broad policies and objectives, formulated and agreed upon by the Executive Director, Executive Officers, and organization members, including to assign priorities and ensure the organization’s capacity to carry out programs by continually reviewing its work.
- Other duties and job descriptions to be defined by the Board of Directors, Executive Director, Executive Officers, or membership. (adopted July 2010)